Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My First Day of School

Yesterday was my first day teaching at my new job. It was a pretty good day once it got started. I have eighteen four year olds in my class, but most of them are girls, so hopefully I won't be driven nutty. At this age boys are such a handful and having more than five or six in a class can make you seriously consider changing careers. We got a bit of a late start because of all of the parents who wanted to come in and get pictures and console crying children(I had two of those)but once they left things went fairly smoothly. The class lasts for 2hours and 15 minutes and we have a ton of stuff to do in that time. We start with prayer and the pledge, then move on to job board and calender. We learn our letter of the day and line up to go to the story room for Spanish and scripture stories. Then off to the big room for P.E. We go to the music room after that and then either do an art project or some science experiment. Then it is back to my classroom for a little math and a review of what we did that day, putting all of the kids' papers in their backpacks and sending them home with their moms. It is crazy busy and it takes tons of planning and prep work, but I have so much fun with these kids it is worth all the work.







DJ started preschool yesterday also, and he had a blast. He talked about everything he did all the way home, and also used visual aids so that I would completely understand what he was talking about. His only complaint was that they did not have a snack during school and he was hungry. He is feeling very grown up and keeps reminding us that he is a big boy now. I know he is, but I personally would like to keep him a baby just a little while longer.

1 comments:

Jenni said...

Just wait until he is your "baby" and starting high school. I can't believe that Ash is taller than me and so grown up!

I'm glad that your day went so well and that DJ loves school too.