Saturday, October 11, 2008

Souper Saturday

Today was a very cold and snowy day here in the land northward.It was also a fun day for me. Our ward had it's annual Super Saturday where we have several different lessons, some lunch and of course some fun crafts. This year's theme was back to the basics and we had lessons on things like organization, menu planning, time management, serving others everyday, and keeping our children safe.

We each were able to choose three classes to go to and I chose the organization, menu planning and child safety classes. We talked about how to cook only once a month and freeze your meals for the month. I am not sure if I would be able to do that right of the bat, but maybe I could start out doing two weeks at a time or something. It sounds like an interesting idea, and would probably save me time by not having to figure out what to feed everyone every evening. The child safety class had some good ideas about Internet safety and keeping information about our kids in a safe spot. We received fingerprinting kits for each child in our house and she told us to keep them in our purses and in our cars. She also mentioned having a family home evening about Internet safety and what the rules are for our household. That way our kids know what is expected of them and they also know that it is okay to talk to their parents about things they may come across online. Some of the statistics were a little scary and made me wish we were on an Army Post again.

Lunch was soup, bread, and fresh veggies from gardens around the ward. Afterwards we did several different crafts. I gathered some new FHE lessons, made a cute little soap bottle and painted and glued two very cute little signs for Halloween and the fall season. I got home at about three o'clock and thought I could hang out for the rest of the day, but my family had other plans. They wanted potato soup for dinner, so it was off to the store in the snow and rain for me. I made soup, but I did cheat and buy the bread and a cake for dessert. It ended up being a fairly cozy evening. Dallas was in a wonderful mood because UT had won their game, and Savannah, DJ and I snuggled in my bed and watched Harry Potter. Mackenzie was being a teenager and hanging out in her room listening to the radio and reading Twilight yet again.It was a nice way to spend a Saturday.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

It is nice to know with all your life changes and all your moving, there are still priorities in your life. And by that I mean rooting for the Longhorns!

Spring Jones said...

Of course we root for the Longhorns! We are Texans after all!!Go #1!